What Is Beauty Rolling and How Can It Benefit Skin?
Benefits of Beauty Rolling
Innovative beauty tools that let people take treatments into their own hands have made the at-home spa a major trend. While beauty rolling has been around for centuries in different cultures and traditions, the practice is experiencing a boom right now as one of beauty’s most coveted treatments. Beauty rolling, however, isn’t just about beauty. It’s a ritual grounded in self-care and indulgent relaxation that just happens to have a host of benefits from helping to stimulate blood flow to helping to boost your mood. Oh, and beauty rolling can also make your face appear more contoured, supple and toned.
Ahead, find the benefits of beauty rolling, so you can transform your bathroom into a spa of your own.
What Is Beauty Rolling?
Beauty rolling is a practice designed to simulate the technique of a massage that encourages drainage. Don’t worry if you’ve never heard of drainage, we’ll explain. Estheticians perform the drainage technique to gently massage the face and body. This technique stimulates the lymphatic system. When the lymphatic system is triggered, the tension in your muscles releases and the face and body relax.
PULL QUOTE: “You can notice the effects immediately: skin glows and puffiness is reduced.”
Additionally, when the lymphatic system is stimulated, so is blood-flow. You can notice the effects immediately: skin glows and puffiness is reduced. An esthetician’s massage is helpful in draining excess fluid from the face and, with regular massage, this process can tone and lift the skin. So, a beauty roller designed to replicate the sensation of an esthetician’s massage has similar effects.
ReFa rollers are designed with special types of rollers called Deep Drainage rollers, designed to move back and forth, replicating the complex deep-kneading hand manipulations of a professional esthetician. Do note that drainage is a technique that estheticians often perform and is not meant to imply any effect that the product has on the body.
Benefits of Beauty Rolling
Beauty rolling can make you feel and look amazing. Here’s how.
- Using a roller can stimulate skin blood flow to the face. As a result, you will notice a brighter, more radiant complexion.
- Regular beauty rolling can help decrease puffiness. Many people find that by reducing puffiness, their faces appear temporarily slimmer and more toned. Hello, cheekbones. Goodbye, under-eye bags.
- A 2008 study found that facial massage can help boost your mood and reduce anxiety by promoting relaxation.
- Beauty rolling can help distribute skincare products to help get a deeper penetration of creams and moisturizers. Always review what types of skincare products are compatible with your beauty roller.
- You can also use your beauty roller over makeup for a fresh, more natural look.
Best Beauty Rolling Techniques
There are a couple of techniques you can use to amplify the power of your beauty rolling practice.
- Roll back and forth along the jawline.
- Roll back and forth over the cheekbones from the corners of the mouth to the ears.
- Roll up and down between the corner of the mouth and the side of the nose, lifting the cheek with one roller.
- Position one roller above the outer corner of the eye and roll back and forth along the side of the head. Closing your eyes and relaxing your forehead, roll across the entire forehead in a zigzag motion.
- For décolletage care, roll along the indentation beneath the collarbone. Roll up and down from the bottom of the head to the base of the neck.
This beauty ritual does what all routines and regimens should — make you feel cared for and radiant.